ISO Certification is a vital component in the Construction Industry. It helps large and small organizations to maintain service delivery quality, ensure employees & building safety, and deliver higher customer satisfaction.
The most obvious benefits for the Construction Industry is the:
- Standardization of Product Quality
- Reduce overall Construction Cost
- Practicing Continuous Improvement
How ISO Certifications help Construction Industry
ISO Certifications is of great use to Construction Industry in many verticals. It helps enhance trust and recognition among customers. Being an ISO Certified enhances the brand value to a higher level.
ISO Certifications in the Construction sector will help achieve:
- Raise Employee & Workplace Productivity
- Employee Engagement
- Reduce Workplace Accidents
- Enhance Building Construction Quality
- Construction Process Improvements
- Building Materials & Equipment Safety, and so on.
The scope of ISO Certification in the Construction Industry is huge. Implementing the following ISO Certifications will transform the Construction Industry.
ISO Standards helps in transforming the organization into a new level of quality & process standard.
Required Standards for the Construction Industry
- Quality Management System – ISO 9001:2015
- Environmental Management System – ISO 14001:2015
- Energy Management System – ISO 50001:2018
- Health and Safety Management – ISO 45001:2018
- Collaborative Working – ISO 44001: 2017
How will each of these ISO Standards empower the Construction Industry?
ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Standard Certification
ISO 9001:2015 Certification helps in many aspects of the Construction Industry.
ISO 9001 Standard has a role at all Stages of a complex construction project.
Right from the planning stage to the construction site and the completion, ISO 9001 Standard ensures quality.
It helps in following a quality first process in executing the construction activities. ISO 9001 Standard focuses on risks and opportunities, and ways to enhance worker productivity.
ISO 9001 Standard Implementation objectives include:
- Keeping the overall Construction Cost Low,
- Maintaining Quality in all steps,
- Efficient Project Management, etc.,
The Quality Management System plays a great role in:
- Optimizing supply chain operations that include external services, third-party contractors,
- Coordinating with suppliers, material providers, in-house employees, contract employees, etc.
Also, ISO 9001:2015 Standard insists on following:
- The Practice of Continuous Improvements,
- Process Enhancements & Budget Optimizations,
- Management Reviews, Customer Feedback, etc.
ISO 14001:2015 Certification- Environmental Management Standard
ISO 14001:2015 Standard will help in managing the use of natural resources, energy, and waste. It will also help in building brand image and credibility.
The Environmental Management System will ensure the following:
- Environmental impact is maintained at an all-time low during every stage.
- Identify the environmental impacts and devise required corrective actions.
ISO 14001 Standards lists a set of requirements that all the teams in the construction industry must follow.
How ISO 14001:2015 Certification will help Construction Industry
The purchasing and procurement division must ensure they follow the:
- Environmental Policies stated by ISO 14001 Standard
- Reduce the use of timber, natural products, & avoid wastages
- Identify the scope of re-use, etc.
The Environmental Management System ensures complete environmental protection.
What is the Scope of a Construction Project to be ISO 14001:2015 Compliant?
The construction project must cover the following scope to be compliant with the ISO 14001:2015 Standards :
- Recycling Waste and Reusing the By-Products
- Reduce the usage of natural resources, energy consumption, disposal of waste products, etc.
- Transportation of materials & manpower to the work sites.
- Technology adoption to reduce the Carbon footprint, and,
- Continuous Process Assessments
As a Construction company, there is a lot of environmental commitment required to achieve sustainability in the long run.
Aim of ISO 14001:2018 Standard Compliant organization is to:
- Lower the Environmental Impacts
- Create a sense of Social Responsibility for protecting the environment.
The management, employees, and all aspects of the construction company must be aligned to the ISO 14001:2015 guidelines.
ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management System
Energy Management is a vital area for Construction company. The energy consumption for construction companies is always on the high side.
ISO 50001 Standard will come in action to provide guidelines for:
- Reducing the Carbon footprints,
- Lower Energy Consumption,
- Reduce the use of Renewable Energy Sources
The ISO 50001 Standard requires creating an Energy Management System (EnMS). It is to keep up with the energy-efficient practices followed globally.
ISO 50001 Certification is an important part of the construction business. Starting from the construction phase to post-completion, ISO 50001 helps in energy management.
Efforts to reduce energy consumption will result in huge cost savings for Construction companies.
ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health & Safety Management System
ISO 45001:2018 is well suited for the building and construction industry. Irrespective of the size of the company, the standard aims at improving overall health and safety for the employees.
The ISO 45001 Certification framework helps in managing contractors, subcontractors, employees more effectively.
The standard helps in managing health & safety, identify potential risk and reduce hazards.
Implementing ISO 45001 Standard effectively can help in reduce workplace-related accidents to a greater extent.
ISO 44001:2018 Certification Collaborative Relationships
ISO 44001 Certification is a must-have for large construction projects. It provides best practices to collaborate with a large team.
The ISO Certification for Collaborative Relationship facilitates the top management to effectively coordinate with their:
- Government Bodies,
- Suppliers, Partners, Customers, etc.
ISO 44001 Standard is about driving organizational mind-set and culture towards collaboration. Rather than being document focussed and delivering contractual objectives, It helps in enhanced team management.
It helps in creating an ecosystem of resources, skill, and competence sharing. It also speeds up contract management and delivery.
How ISO Certifications are transforming the Construction Sector?
So in a nutshell, the construction industry has significant benefits from ISO certifications and implementing the standards.
There are tailor-made requirements and regulations indicated by the globally accepted ISO Standards that will:
- Enhance Quality & Reputation,
- Employee Engagement
- Cost Savings & Customer Satisfaction for the Construction industry.
To know more about ISO Certification for the Construction Sector, connect with our experts!
Contact: Aurion ISO Consultants